Wednesday, January 31, 2007

va-va voom

Welcome to my week-long burlesque indulgence. (Don't say I didn't tell you so!) I am casing the Slipper Room in LES this week, allegedly home to NYC's longest-continuously-running burlesque show. But that's not until Saturday night. In the meantime, the Slipper Room is host to an amalgam of shows (Paco Doubledown Variety Hour, The Choke’s! Exploding Punk Inevitable Review) that include a "burlesque element." I'll be there, too.

Burlesque is making a comeback, and I suspect higher-profile burlesque clubs and dancers (i.e. the Pussycat Dolls; Dita von Teese), modern pin-up culture (i.e. the Suicide Girls), and the hip factor of all things vintage within a certain coveted demographic are among the reasons why. I'm locking myself in the library and to my computer until I find the facts from reputable sources tomorrow.

All in the name of great journalism, and further justification that cultureisnotdead.

***

No comments: